A GLOBAL STAND FOR FREEDOM:
- 45 Members of Congress have called on the U.S. to drop out of the Saudi G20. (Press conference, Ms. Magazine, Fox News.)
- 400+ Members of the European Parliament have called on European Union leaders to downgrade the EU representation at the G-20 summit.
- 20+ UK Members of Parliament are calling on the UK government to “reconsider” its participation in the Saudi G20.
- Global Mayors: The Mayors of London, Paris, New York City, and Los Angeles have all boycotted the Saudi G20 “Urban 20” summit of mayors.
Thank you to allied human rights organizations, as well as Freedom Forward members who sent hundreds of emails, made phone calls, and posted to social media urging political leaders to boycott the Saudi G20.
Press coverage of mayors’ boycotts of Saudi G20:
- “Sadiq Khan refuses to attend city mayors’ summit in Saudi Arabia,” The Guardian, September 30, 2020
- “London mayor Sadiq Khan boycotts G20 to avoid ‘any implication’ of support for Saudi government,” The New Arab, September 30, 2020.
- “New York City mayor boycotts summit in Saudi Arabia over rights concerns,” Middle East Eye, September 25, 2020
- “De Blasio pulls out of upcoming summit in Saudi Arabia,” Associated Press, September 24, 2020.
- “Rights groups urge mayors of world capitals to boycott Saudi summit,” Middle East Eye, September 21, 2020